site design group ltd.888 S. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60605
Senior Project Designer
site design group, ltd. is seeking a talented Senior Project Designer to join our award-winning multi-disciplinary firm. The Senior Project Designer is responsible for the coordination and leadership of a wide-range of landscape architecture and urban design projects. For these various project types, the Senior Project Designer guides all aspects of the project, including site analysis, programming, planning, conceptual design, schematic design, and design development efforts. The Senior Project Designer serves as a primary point of contact with clients, owners, and other stakeholders and plays a key role in managing a project from kickoff through design development. Beginning at construction documentation, the bulk of the day-to-day project management typically transitions from the Senior Project Designer to a staff person responsible for technical documentation and construction administration. However, the Senior Project Designer remains involved throughout the latter phases of the project and is expected to have a solid technical foundation and keen understanding of how outdoor environments are detailed and constructed. The Senior Project Designer will be involved in a project’s post-DD phases primarily to guide design decisions and reconcile technical issues with the design intent, but he or she will also assist with technical documentation and construction administration as needed.
We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate with a high level of design experience and interest in design. This individual will be interested in and involved in office operations, look to support our office culture, and mentor our junior staff.
In pursuit of the above responsibilities, some specifics related to this role are as follows:
- Working with the Principal-in-Charge and Design Principal, the Senior Project Designer will lead the schematic design and design development phases of a project and guide the internal production team.
- Interface with owners, clients, and other design teams members as the point of contact and project manager during the schematic design and design development phases of a project.
- Communicate and coordinate with other design team members, including architects, landscape architects, developers, owners, engineers, product reps, fabricators, cost and permitting consultants, governmental agencies, etc. throughout all phases of the project.
- Develop, review, and coordinate project documentation for initial project phases, including programming and schematic design, material selection, and design development.
- Guide design decisions and reconcile technical issues through post-DD phases, including technical documentation and detailing, construction documentation and specifications, QA/QC procedures, and working with the Construction Manager during construction.
- Assure projects meet site design group, ltd. technical document and design quality standards.
- Foster a collaborative culture with internal and external project teams.
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Landscape Architecture, Architecture, Urban Design, or a related field
- Eight (8) or more years of relevant design experience
- Intuitive understanding of design and an office-compatible design aesthetic
- Strong hand-drawn and digital graphics skills
- Competency with relevant software, including: Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Autodesk AutoCAD, and Sketch-up. Knowledge of 3-D modeling software is a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to relay the project story to various audiences
- Effective problem identification, problem-solving, and decision-making abilities
- Ability to handle multiple tasks accurately and efficiently in a fast-paced studio environment
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues, clients, and consultants
- Ability to represent site design group, ltd. to clients and company friends in a gracious and professional manner
- A commitment to design excellence and innovation
- Landscape Architecture or Architecture professional license is a plus
Commensurate with experience.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume, and portfolio by May 5, 2016 to:
Director of Marketing
site design group, ltd.
888 South Michigan Avenue, #1000
Chicago, Illinois 60605
Your portfolio should include examples of the following:
- Design thinking / process drawings
- Examples of design details
- Photos of built work
site design group, ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer in full compliance with local, state, and federal Civil Rights and Affirmative Action laws.